Or, Creating A Reading Nook, Part Two!
Last week, I showed you how I found a corner in my bedroom to put together a little reading nook. It’s a small little space, but just perfect for me to snuggle in for a little private self-time. And while I already love it, it needed a few touches to make it a little cozier and a little more personal to me.
I hemmed and hawed for days. What in the world could I do besides just hanging some pictures? I love art, sure, but I love yarn and my kids and reading even more. And then, some ideas started to take shape. My kid’s art, yarn flowers, plants … things that make it come alive for me. I had to get a little DIY, but here’s how easy it was to put together:
- I found two old clay frames that my kids gave me for Mother’s Day a couple of years ago. Perfect!
- A few little succulents on sale from the local plant nursery.
- Dug through my pile of artwork I already had and chose the perfect one (You can’t see it, but it’s a Monet canvas behind my squishy chair)
- Crafted a little yarnie creation to pull it all together.
Aren’t the pom-pom flowers just the neatest? Here’s how you can make your own as a cute decoration…
Pom-Pom Flower Vase Craft Tutorial
- Pick up some willow tree stems, two small glass bottles, and a bottle of acrylic satin glass paint.
- Paint the two bottles. Multiple coats and then let dry.
- Make pom-poms! There are a ton of tutorials online you can use, but I just used our handy-dandy pom-pom maker. I suggest using child labor for this part.
- Snip the willow tree twigs to the desired length.
- Hot glue the pom-poms to the willow tree stems.
- (optional) use command adhesive velcro strips to adhere to the back of the glass and to the wall. Attach in place.
- Arrange your “flowers” in their new vase on the wall.
To say I am tickled is an understatement. I’m enchanted to the point that I want to spend all day here, reading and knitting. But, I suppose I do have to be a grown-up, huh?