Soup is the perfect comfort food, especially when the weather is cold or the heart is hurting and this Crock Pot Split Pea and Ham soup is one of my favorites. It’s also easy to make and a crockpot meal on top of it!
When I cook a ham, I freeze the bone so when I am in the need for my favorite comfort food, I can whip up a batch of this soup! You can use ham hocks instead! I leave enough meat on the bone to have some good chunks in my soup!
1 16oz package of dried split peas, rinsed
1 ham bone
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
2 tsp Italian Seasoning
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 quarts hot water.
- Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given
- Add the water, do not stir!
- Cook on low 8-10 hours or until peas are soft and ham falls off the bone
- Remove bay leaf (although we used to have a rule, the person who got the bay leaf did the dishes! HA) and bone.
- Serve with French bread slathered in butter.
It will warm your heart, your body, and you soul!